Gateway to Royal Deeside
Stonehaven lies on the Highland Boundary Fault and marks the edge of the Highlands of Scotland . The thin black topsoil of the hills to the North turns into the thick rusting-red loam of the Howe of the Mearns.
The harbour is built where the small fishing village was tucked under Downie Point. At the other end of Stonehaven Bay lies the separate little village of Cowie.
The Castle & Toolbooth
Stonehaven is set on the East coast of Scotland, on the Highland Boundary Fault. The "pudding stone" conglomerate can be seen in the cliffs around the harbour, and has left the promontory on which the castle ruins now stand.
Old Town & New Town
The Ship Inn at the harbour dates from 1711, but the Marine Hotel is modern by comparison having been constructed about 1884. The square Town House was built in 1790, and the Mercat Cross in front may date from 1645, and was restored for Queen Victoria 's golden jubilee visit in 1887.